It's Mr. Dr. Professor Schofield....

So this week was pretty weird. Our last P day was only four days ago, so there's not much, but here's a rundown of my week.

Friday: So on Friday I taught English! It was really cool. I teach at the university in a classroom. My teaching partner is Elder Pickering. He is super super cool. He really is just the coolest guy. He is 27 actually. He has a Masters Degree. He is from a small town in Utah. He went to Hurricane High School. He has been here for 10 months.  He said he didn't want to go on a mission but then he just had a come to Jesus moment and turned his life around. He really is the greatest guy ever. 

When we teach at the University we split up with someone other than our companion.  We taught a class which was dope. The kids really don't know English at all, and the curriculum they teach is way wack, so we are trying to implement our own curriculum but it's hard. So we just teach them stuff they need to get along in America. So we just split up into groups and I talked to this kid for like 30 minutes about basketball. He likes Kyrie, so we got along well. So we talked about the Celtics and then about Soccer the whole time, and it really helped them a lot, it was really cool. So then we went back to the church to meet up with our companions again and split back together, so Pickering and I were waiting in the lobby then this lady walks in. She starts talking to Pickering and says "I have a couple questions I want to ask" but then she pulls out a cigarette and starts to smoke right there. And so we are like "you can't smoke here, you have to take that outside" but she says "zaith (pretty much gtfo in mongolian)" so she starts to smoke and Pickering stands up and snags the cigeratte from her mouth and walks outside and I was like "oh chauss..." so then she goes outside and smokes it down in one pull and then goes inside and blows up on everyone in there. She starts screaming and yelling at everyone, so we just dip out and let the security handle that. It was weird haha. Oh and then we went to KFC and Callahan (the rich elder) bought us dinner which was dope.

Saturday: Today we had district meeting and we painted each other as our activity. Garcia painted me and it was hilarious. It looks like Johnny Bravo. Other than that we really didn't do much.

Sunday: Went to church for the first time, and they asked me to bear my testimony. So I got up and was freaking out, and I stumbled around for a bit but then I looked out and saw all the people were just smiling and looked so happy and proud of me, and from then on I just spoke. It was really cool, I just spoke Mongolian vs thinking in English first then going to Mongolian. It's hard to explain, but it was really cool, it felt very natural. And then after Sacrament Meeting this old guy who wears a deel everywhere came up to me with the biggest smille and said good job! So that was awesome. 

Monday: Today on the bus we got stuck in traffic for like 45 minutes. So I was standing next to this little 4 year old girl and she stared at me for the whole time and then she yelled at her grandpa, pointing at me, "YC YC YC!!!!" which means HAIR HAIR HAIR!. So I looked at the grandpa and we both started laughing, it was adorable, this girl was so cute. Then we taught a lesson which was awesome. So we get to the kids house we teach, he's a new member so we teach the new member lessons.  His family are not members are they are not interested.  But they treat us like regular people and are so kind. His brother who must be like 10, opens the door and he's in his underwear and his dad sees us and says "hurry! come in! the oklahoma city thunder are playing right now!" so he has us come sit next to him, and he's shirtless too. Sidenote: when people are home the guys don't wear shirts. It's freaking the best thing ever. So he has us watch a little of the game, then we teach the lesson and it was really good. But  halfway through they had to leave to take pictures. So they said " we will be 10 minutes so here's some food and just hangout and we will be right back." So we were just chilling on the couch for 10 minutes then they came back and the first thing the dad does is rip off his shirt. 

It's a lot of self growth out here. I'm learning a lot of how I want to be and how I want to live my life which is good.  It's good to see the opposing way of life. 

I'm staying positive, it's pretty easy here when the people are so fun and so nice and generous. They give you everything they have and it breaks my heart. Like at the lesson the dad gave us an apple and then some sweet bread and the mom got some candy for us and cut up some apples for us to eat and gave us some water. It was so nice of them. They are awesome.  Yeah, these people are awesome. So much respect for going shirtless. And then we rode the bus back and I got asked if I'm Russian again. People say I look very Russian so they always ask me. 

It's still pretty cold, but it's getting warmer. The afternoons are hot and the mornings and night are cold. So I wear my patagonia jacket a lot.

But that was my week! It's really cool out here, love it so much. 

Love you all so much!
Austin

 "Doing some service in the ger districts.  We carried some water and some coal."
"Hanging out with Good Old Ghengis Khan in Sukbaatar Square."



"Shopping.  This place is huge!"
 "The ger district.  I love the ger districts.  The sky and the mountains here remind me a lot of Nevada."

 "This symbol is actually Buddhist.  Everyone has them."
 "Mongolian ice cream is way better than American.  They use whole heavy cream."
 "My companions painting of me at our District meeting."
"Just a random statue.  I was being chased by a drunk guy yelling at me in Russian while I was getting this picture."
 "KFC.  And yes Ava it's chicken, not yak."




Comments

Popular Posts